Art Petty writes at Management Excellence. A few months ago, he published the ebook Leadership and The Project Manager: Developing the Skills that Fuel High Performance.
While there is a lot of talk about leadership and project management, Art takes an original approach. Instead of telling anecdotes to illustrate his point, he uses questions. For example, to illustrate what leadership maturity means, he lists the following questions:
- Does the PM understand the true role of a leader?
- Can the PM lead effectively without formal authority?
- Is the PM capable of inspiring and motivating others and leading across silos?
- Does the PM understand her role in creating a high performance culture?
- Is she comfortable receiving and delivering constructive feedback?
- Does she have high credibility as a professional and a person?
- Does she understand the stages of team development and the changing leadership tasks at each stage?
- Does she manage upwards and communicate with stakeholders effectively?
Art’s question-based approach creates a book where one stops and thinks at each chapter, and ponders one’s own answer […]